We use cookies on this website – more information

Cookies are small text files which are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you visit a website.


Armed Forces personnel

British Army Logo

Financial support for current and recent Armed Forces personnel

The University of Cumbria is a registered learning provider with the Ministry of Defence's ELCAS scheme for armed forces personnel wishing to study a university course.

What is ELCAS?

ELCAS is scheme run by the Ministry of Defence to provide financial support to armed forces personnel (both serving and service leavers) to study a course at university. The course should lead to a qualification at Level 3 or higher, ie A-level (or A-level equivalent) and higher, including degree level and beyond. ELCAS expects you to study a course which is of direct benefit to the service and which leads to personal and professional development.

What funding is available through ELCAS?

Providing that you meet the ELCAS criteria, you can apply for the following:

  • 80% of your tuition fees up to £1,000 per year for up to three years - if you have four or more years eligible service
  • 80% of your tuition fees up to £2,000 per year for up to three years - if you have eight or more years eligible service

You will be expected to contribute 20% towards your tuition fees which you can pay either in full or in instalments.

The grant from ELCAS will be paid direct to the University of Cumbria on your behalf.

How do I apply?

Firstly, you must ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria of the ELCAS scheme by checking this on their website.

If you qualify, you should submit your application to ELCAS, allowing at least five weeks before the start of your course.

Application forms and details of how to submit your application are available from the ELCAS website.

Further information

Our Learning Provider’s Reference Number is 3046 – you will need this for your application to ELCAS.

If you would like to speak to someone about this scheme, please contact a Student Development Adviser in LiSS.

To find out which courses lead to a degree qualification or higher, please check our courses.