If you’re considering applying to study for a PhD at Cumbria, this page will provide you with all the information you need.
About the PhD Programme
The University is committed to providing excellence in academic practice together with a supportive and stimulating environment in which to conduct your studies.
This is characterised by:
- Excellent supervision by a supervisory team
- A dedicated Graduate School
- Access to research networks
- Possibilities for supervised involvement in teaching
- Relevant training in research methodologies and skills
- Access to appropriate facilities to support research
Research degrees at the University of Cumbria are validated by Lancaster University.
Registration and Length of Programme
PhD: 3-4 years full-time or 4-7 years part-time
We have three registration points in the year: 1 January, 1 April and 1 October.
We strongly recommend that applicants make their applications as early as possible (and at least three months before their preferred start date).
Information for overseas applicants can be found on our international pages
You can also find visa & immigration information on the UK government website.
Information of PhD programme fees are available here: